Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Second Step of the Celtic Camino - Toulouse

Alea, my 15 year old daughter arrived in Madrid on Thursday and we went straight to Barcelona. What a wonderful city! We spent Friday just walking around everywhere, seeing the La Sagrada Familia cathedral from the outside (it was so crowded with tourists that we didn't even want to wait in line for tickets), the Arc de Triomf made of red brick, to the Mediterranean Sea, where Alea got her feet and legs wet and found beautiful sea glass. We then took the metro up to the Guell Jardins which are gardens designed by the avant garde architect Guell on land on top of a big hill overlooking the city. Full of plants and views, with areas made of beautiful mosaic designs in vivid bright colors. We even were in the middle of a downpour of rain which sent most people away, so we had the area to ourselves plus discovered places we wouldn't have seen otherwise. We then went back to our room for a siesta, before meeting my Camino buddies, Paul and Wendy from Toronto, in La Rambla part of town, a lively area filled with markets and fruit and flower stands. It was so good to spend the evening with them and share our Camino experiences with Alea in a quiet restaurant sitting outside by a enclosed courtyard area.

The next day we left early for Toulouse and arrived in the early afternoon. After a nap, we walked to find the Eglise/Church of the Notre Dame de Deblade. We found it easily as we wove through old streets filled with people, restaurants, cafes, beautiful stores, and lively French chatter all around us. I realized that I love being in France and hearing the French language. I may only understand every 10 words, but it feels more familiar and accessible for me. I love being here!

The eglise Notre Dame de Deblade is beautiful and simple. I loved it. We happened to get there about 20 minutes before the Saturday evening mass, so we had a little time to just be in there before other people showed up. There is a beautiful rose like stained glass window at the front of the church that was radiating the afternoon sun into the church...magical as the brilliant colors moved on the floor of the church. I saw images of Mary Magdalene; I heard a mass in French that I felt like I received with my heart rather than my head; I saw an image of a peacock's tail in the metal gates behind the altar; I felt peaceful in this beautiful cathedral; and I just wanted to stay and soak in the energy of this beautiful place.

We came back today after a great walk across the River Garonne and the Pont (Bridge) Neuf, along the park by the river, and then back along the river until we walked up some very old steps to the cathedral. Unfortunately, the cathedral was not open this time...we arrived too late after the morning masses. And I must trust this, and be so grateful that we were here, and that we got to go inside yesterday afternoon with the beautiful afternoon light coming in through the window.

It was a blessed time to be there, and I realize had we come to Toulouse during the week, we could not have gotten inside. I realize that once again I have been guided to be here at the right time. The other sacred sites/cathedrals that we are visiting are bigger and more popular spots, so I don't think that we will have any trouble getting to go inside.

Well, time to go to the train station and be on our way to Orleans!

love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment