Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two Days Until I Leave for the El Camino de Santiago


Wow...I am getting down to the wire. I leave for Madrid on Thursday, arrive on Friday and then take a train to Leon in the afternoon. I then have the evening and most of the next day to myself before meeting up with the crew from Toronto with whom I am walking the El Camino de Santiago.


I will be assisting Sue Kenney, an experienced Camino pilgrim - see http://www.suekenney.ca/ for more information about her and her books and movie - to lead a small group of 4 pilgrims from Vega de Valcarce, west of Leon, to Santiago de Compostela. We are walking about 100 miles over ten days, planning to arrive in Santiago on June 1st.


I am so excited, and admittedly, a little nervous as well. I walked about 6 miles along the Mesa Trail along the edge of the foothills just west of Boulder down to Eldorado Springs on Sunday. I felt great, and even went to Pilates class that afternoon. If nothing else, I will have my Colorado altitude training on my side! Plus I have been walking with about 20 pounds on my back for the last 3 weeks - 20 pounds of popping corn and dried beans!


Tomorrow I pack my pack with clothes and other traveling items. Then I get to weigh it. They say I should take about 10% of my weight, which thankfully is way less than 20 pounds, but I am already nervous about how much I am bringing. I have actually been cutting travel books in half so that I bring only the part of the books that I really need. Feels so funny to cut a book up...isn't there a rule about never doing anything like that to a book?!

I will be writing more when I am in Spain...stay in touch to continue hearing about my adventures. Walking the Camino is just the beginning - the preparation - for the pilgrimage that follows!

2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! Way to go Sarah.By the time you read this you will be in Spain!I am excited to follow your journey. Truly inspirational. What's it like to be living your dream? Be sure to include descriptions of any Riojas you enjoy. Red wine is a great jet lag cure! ;-)

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome, Sarah! Have a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to reading your upcoming posts about your journey.

    Kim Hardin

    ReplyDelete