Sunday, May 31, 2009

Today We Walk into Santiago - Day 9

We are up early and now are waiting for a taxi to take us back to the place we walked to yesterday afternoon! Taxi? Yes, a taxi. Yesterday in extreme heat we walked 4.2k beyond the town of Arca where we had intended to stay. It´s the last place before Santiago with any albergues or refugios. So we came back and had a great night of resting and sleeping.

So today we go back to our shady little rest spot where we figured out what we had done, and start again. Maybe I will find my sunglasses that I somehow missplaced there.

It is very bittersweet to be completing our Camino today. But like childbirth, truly this is just the beginning. An ending of walking the Camino, and a beginning of life with the Camino in me, under my feet.

By the time we finish today, we will have walked 168 kilometers. Pretty amazing, eh? And while it has been challenging at times, hot, cold, flat, hilly - all of the above, we have all done it. All 6 of us. My great group from Canada - Sue Kenney (see www.suekenney.ca), Linda, Vanda, Wendy and Paul. I know that I have not shared much about them - I will more later. They are wonderful and it has been the perfect group to walk with. We have created our own Camino. Other pilgrims get up at 6am; we get up at 7 or so, and have cafe con leches and bread before we even start, and then walk until 8pm. It has worked for us.

And today we are up early so that maybe we can arrive in Santiago by noon and go to the noon Pilgrim´s Mass at the Cathedral. We will see. If we do, we do. If not, we go tomorrow.

Must go...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment